New York Giants say,”Pick a Jersey Number, Rookie”

The first draft class of the New Meadowlands stadium is currently settling in. What a treat for these young players to end up in a situation where the team has brand new state of the art equipment and facilities. These kids today, I’ll tell yaahh! While they were settling in, someone came up to them and said, hey rookie, pick a jersey number. If the number is available, they will get it, if not, then they won’t. Some of them were lucky enough to get the same numbers they wore in college, something I’m told is like a link on a chain to some players. It is extremely important to some and doesn’t mean anything to others.

This is a very exciting time for these rookies. I expect the team to harass them during the training camp and pre-season days. Hopefully, there aren’t any fights that break out this year. These rookies will need to earn the respect of the team, the coaches and the fans. That’s a tall order for anyone to attempt at such a young age. I am confident that the front office has systems in place (Charles Way) to help these young men transition into the pros. They will begin by having every Giants fan rooting for them, while the team and coaches test them. I hope they perform well.

Let’s take a look at what jersey numbers were selected. I will list the rookie players below in the same order in which they were drafted over the weekend during the 2010 NFL Draft.

Round 1 – DE Jason “Wild Thing” Pierre-Paul will wear No. 90

Round 2 – DT Linval Joseph will wear No. 97

Round 3 – S Chad Jones will wear No. 35

Round 4 – LB Phillip Dillard will wear No. 55

Round 5 – OG Mitch Petrus will wear No. 62

Round 6 – LB/DE Adrian Tracy will wear No. 98

Round 7 – P Matt Dodge will wear No. 6

Do you own any authentic New York Giants jersey’s or any kind of Giants jersey at all? What players did you get?

I have 6 authentic jersey’s in my collection.

Eli Manning No. 10 x2, circa 2004 and 2008

Antonio Pierce No. 58, circa 2005

Greg Jackson No. 47, circa 1993

Jessie Armstead No. 98, circa 1998

Jeremy Shockey No. 80, circa 2006

RD – NYGReporter.com

The NYG Reporter supports the American Red Cross!

22 Responses to New York Giants say,”Pick a Jersey Number, Rookie”

1. robdomaine says:

I know that some of you Giants fans have to have a New York Giants jersey, let’s hear who you have in your collection.

2. Anonymous says:

I see 4 starters in the first 5 picks minimum. According to Jason LaCanfora The Giants nearly traded Barry Cofield to The Saints for a 3rd rounder, so apparently they think very highly of Joseph and both he and Dillard should have a chance at starting off the bat if everything in camp is done fairly

• robdomaine says:

I see at least 3 starters within the first four picks. Not right away but after a year or two for sure. I think DT Linval Joseph will see the most playing time out of this class in 2010.

3. Anonymous says:

Apparently Giants almost traded Cofield to Saints for a 3rd rounder. Joseph should be getting the most snaps at DT by midseason. I see 4 starters in the first 5 picks minimum

• robdomaine says:

Trading Barry Cofield (if the rumor is true) would be a very bad move on the Giants part. Cofield is a bull in the middle and someone who gets better and better each year. Keep an eye on him this season and watch the battle in training camp.

4. Kyle L. says:

Those comments were me… Didnt see the first one go up

5. Kyle L. says:

Yeah the un-named ones were me. Cofield had a decent season this year but I disagree that hes gotten better each year. Hes a good player, but one dimesional. Lnval will have his job very soon. Hes a much better player

• robdomaine says:

Well I hope that both of them play well in 2010. Don’t count Cofield out just yet, he is still very young.

Do you have any authentic Giants jerseys? Which ones?

6. Kyle L. says:

For a “run stuffing bull” he didn’t play the run well in 2009, in fact, he was a liability:

• robdomaine says:

Barry Cofield is a solid defensive tackle. We are a better team with him there. He asked to carry a heavy burden last year with so many injuries. He did an outstanding job IMO.

• Kyle L. says:

Well Cofield has not signed his free agent tender yet and the fact that they tried to deal him does not speak well of his play

• robdomaine says:

That is of course if the rumor is true. It doesn’t make sense to me to trade DT Barry Cofield. They said DE Osi Umenyiora might be traded too and both John Mara and Jerry Reese said publicly, that they aren’t trading him. You never know I guess.

7. Kyle L. says:

I only have an authentic Eli one and its hung up somewhere

8. Kyle L. says:

In listening to the TC/Marc Ross/Jerry Reese press conferences you can tell that despite how much they like Dillard that they are still concerned with the MLB spot, and I dont think they are done building this defense for 2010 yet. I fully believe that Aquiring John Henderson and a trade for Derrick Johnson are both in play as of now. KC has been actively shopping Johnson since midseason and Henderson is scheduled to visit The Giants this week

• robdomaine says:

It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the Giants grab another LB via free agency. I noticed tat you called the “Linval Joseph” pick too. Nice call on that one. I’m very happy that the team got Chad Jones in the third round too. That really will prove to be one of the steals of the draft IMO.