The New York Giants defeated the New York Jets, in the Battle for New York by the score of 31-16. I saw a lot of things that I did not like in this game and a couple of things that I thought were terrific. I’m sitting here with a page and a half of notes on the game that I will share with you. We will also discuss the post game comments from the players and coaches. Running back Brandon “The Bull” Jacobs, mentioned that the New Meadowlands stadium (the stadium is incredible) is now officially Giants stadium after beating the Jets. No Matter what name they put on that stadium or how much rent the Jets are paying to split the cost, that is still Giants stadium to the tri-state area and will be for generations.
Let’s take a look at some of my game notes and please feel free to comment in the area below, you do not need to be a member of nygreporter in order to leave a comment. These are simply my opinions on what I saw during the game. I do not mean to insult any of the players or coaches. I am just calling it like I see it.
– S Antrel Rolle intercepted QB Mark Sanchez’s pass in the first quarter. It was good to see the veteran making a play in his first real game with Big Blue.
– QB Eli Manning suffered a head laceration after a weird play where Eli lost his helmet and got whacked in the head by a defender. Manning needed 12 stitches but doesn’t have a concussion. He finished 4/8 – 77 yards.
– Special Teams mishap with rookie P Matt Dodge’s punt getting blocked. RB Andre Brown missed a block that allowed the defender to reach the ball. Special teams has issues.
– Rookie DE Jason Pierre-Paul had the only Giants sack in the game. He is going to be a stud when he learns the game completely.
– RB Brandon “The Bull” Jacobs scored a TD on a run from the one yard line. It took him three attempts before he could break the plain. Yes, he did score eventually but it gave me pause to see him fail twice in a row.
– Rookie WR Victor Cruz had a break out game. No.3 scored 3 TD’s and had 145 yards (the best rookie start since Terrell Owens rookie year). He is a local kid from New Jersey and is 6’1″ 200 pounds. He has also been a star in training camp this year. Overnight, he has become the NFL leader in yards (145 yards) and scoring (18 points).
– Why is CB Aaron Ross returning kick offs? Please stop using Aaron Ross as a returner.
– The special teams were very shaky last night. The team should address this area within the next week or so by adding a player.
– LB Chase Blackburn was carted off the field in the third quarter with a leg injury. Nothing new to report as of yet but I expect we will learn more this afternoon.
– LB Gerris Wilkinson had a good game and was making plays out there. He caused a forced fumble late in the game and lead all tacklers with six.
– WR Ramses Barden had a shaky game and looks like he will need to put in some more work to get experience. He had two receptions for 12 yards.
– The New York Giants defense had one sack, three interceptions and one forced fumble.
– Kicker Lawrence Tynes made his only FG (32 yards) attempt and made all four of his extra point attempts.
– Backup QB Jim Sorgi had a shaky start but ended up having a good game. His final stats were 8/15 – 146 yards and 2 TD’s.
– WR Derek Hagan had a good game. With the emergence of WR Victor Cruz, Derek Hagan and Sinorice Moss need to be concerned for their jobs. He gained 42 yards on three receptions.
– Backup QB Rhett Bomar handled the offense well and had a nice run for a first down late in the game to seal the win. Bomar was 6/7 – 67 yards and 1 TD.
– RB Ahmad Bradshaw didn’t do anything on the ground (-1 yard) but he did catch two passes for 58 yards.
– RB Andre Brown lead all Giants rushers with 26 yards on five attempts.
– Last night (8/16/10) was the first ever football game to be played in the New Meadowlands stadium. Giants win 31-16. Can we drop the word “New” from the stadium name and just call it Meadowlands stadium.
Despite the fact that the Giants beat the Jets, the offensive starters seemed a bit stale in the first quarter. This is something that had me thinking last night as I watched the first quarter. The running game needs to get on track and I expect the team to use a rotation until somebody steps up and produces consistently. Personally, I believe the number one spot could be filled by either Jacobs or Bradshaw. Both of them bring something different to the table and both are capable of starting. Special teams need work. The Giants second and third stringers clearly won this game, which would suggest that the Giants are a deeper team then the Jets.
The New York Giants will face the Pittsburgh Steelers next in their home opener. This Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 7 PM EST.
RD – nygreporter.com
PLEASE SUPPORT THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT!!!