NEW YORK – The New York Giants needed a big win Sunday night and the team did not disappoint the fans by putting on a defensive show and winning the game 17-3. The sack happy G-Men (nine in 1st half alone) also had their Ring of Honor ceremony at halftime. Giants.com was nice enough to have a LIVE stream of the short ceremony that had players from just about every decade. It was an electric night with all of those legends in the stadium and the fans seemed to really enjoy the festivities.
It is clear to most fans that the Giants defense has improved the most thus far and the Big Blue offense seems to be taking a step back each week. The Giants defense played their best game of the season against the Bears and the best game I can remember since the destruction of the Eagles in 2005, when the team had 12 sacks. I do not think Coach Coughlin should be concerned with all of the rumors about his job being in jeopardy. He is a terrific coach and has done a lot for the franchise since he arrived. These fair weather fans needs to keep their opinions to themselves and stop blowing up the message boards with their negativity.
The Giants needed to win this game and that is exactly what they did. They are now 2-2 on the season and might have gotten some of their mojo back.
Let’s take a look at some of my notes from the game.
- The Giants had their Ring of Honor ceremony at halftime. It was the first time in history, that the team has awarded such honors to individual players, coaches and owners.
- DE Osi Umenyiora had a terrific game with 3 sacks in the first half.
- DE Justin Tuck also had a great game and finished with 3 sacks himself.
- WR Hakeem Nicks had a great game and lead all Giants receivers with 110 yards.
- The Giants defense controlled the entire game and finished with 10 sacks, 2 INT’s and 3 forced fumbles.
- Return specialist Darius Reynaud appears to be a bust at this point. He needs to pick it up.
- Special teams might need a complete overhaul at the end of this season.
- QB Eli Manning had a mediocre game and seems to have recovered from the past two losses. He finished with 195 passing yards 0 TD’s 0 INT’s.
- RB Ahmad Bradshaw continued to show why he is the starter with another great performance. He finished with 129 yards and 1 TD.
- Former RB Tiki Barber was booed LOUDLY when his name was called for the Ring of Honor ceremony at halftime.
- OC Kevin Gilbride needs to prove himself or he could lose his job before the year is up. He is way too conservative.
- RB Brandon Jacobs had a nice game finishing with 62 yards and 1 TD.
- Rookie DE Jason Pierre-Paul had an INT in the 4th quarter that was called back on a penalty.
- The Giants wide receivers continue to drop passes that look like sure catches.
- The offensive line played much better against the Bears and they need to stay consistent if they want to get back to the playoffs.
- The Giants knocked Bears QB Jay Cutler out of the game in the 3rd quarter with a concussion. The second QB the G-Men have knocked out this year.
- The Giants then knocked out the Bears 2nd string QB Todd Collins in the 4th quarter making him the third QB knocked out by Big Blue this year.
- DC Perry Fewell had his breakout game tonight as far as coaching is concerned. Total defensive dominance in this game for Big Blue.
- The G-men are still turning the ball over way too much and need to stop getting so many penalties.
- K Lawrence Tynes missed another FG. He is beginning to make me worry like he did last year.
How do you feel about the outcome of the game between the G-men and Bears? Was it what you expected?
RD – nygreporter.com