NEW YORK – The New York Giants played a desperate Detroit Lions team today in a game some were calling a trap game. Luckily for Big Blue, they beat the Lions 28-20 and improved to 4-2 on the season. This was a close game and I was actually nervous towards the end when the two minute warning came. The Lions played with a lot of heart and I take my hat off to them.
The Giants placed rookie WR Victor Cruz on the IR list (the 10th player added) and signed K Shayne Graham to the team after learning that K Lawrence Tynes was injured and would be inactive. Not a very good way to start the game considering all of the issues the special teams have had thus far in 2010. The good news is that the G-Men started this game with the No.1 defense in the NFL and the No.5 offense.
Former disappointing Giants safety CC Brown, made some comments about QB Eli Manning before the game. Not insulting comments but certainly judgmental. He seems to be all talk because he did not have a very good game and even appeared to try and cheap shot some of the players. A scary moment came in the second half when Lions LB Zach Follett was taken off the field on a cart, reports say he has movement in his arms and legs, Thank God. We wish him a speedy recovery.
The Detroit Lions have a lot of work to do in order to improve, I almost felt bad for them today. It’s hard to measure how good the Giants played today because the Lions are such a subpar team. A win is a win and I’m sure that nobody is complaining about it but it will be nice to see Big Blue lump up some tough teams.
Let’s take a look at some of my notes from today’s game.
- P Matt “Get Outta” Dodge turned the ball over on his first attempt. The fans officially have had enough of the rookie and I actually feel bad for the kid but he has to go.
- RB Brandon Jacobs has been quietly getting his mojo back and had another productive game. He finished with 2 TD’s on 35 yards.
- The Giants defense has been dominating the past three weeks and very fun to watch. DC Perry Fewell is a hit in New York.
- WR Steve Smith had a very good game. He led all receivers with 70 yards on 6 catches.
- QB Eli Manning had a very nice game and did not make any big mistakes. He finished with 177 yards and 2 TD’s 0 INT’s.
- DE Osi Umenyiora is beginning to get hot after his second consecutive two sack game. Osi also had two forced fumbles.
- RB Ahmad Bradshaw had another solid performance and finished the game with 133 yards.
- QB Eli Manning has passed for over 20,000 yards. His achievement today was only the second time (Phil Simms) in team history a QB has done so.
- LB MIchael Boley led all tacklers with eight for Big Blue. He is a big part of the defense and has been doing a good job.
- WR Mario Manningham got back into the mix with a nice TD grab in the 2nd quarter. He finished with 51 yards.
- The Giants defense knocked Lions QB Shaun Hill out of the game in the 2nd quarter. The 4th QB to be knocked out by the Giants this season.
- TE Kevin Boss had a good game and made a couple of big catches. He finished with 27 yards.
- S Antrel Rolle had a crucial INT in the 4th quarter to seal the victory. Great job Antrel!
- TE Travis Beckum scored a TD in the 3rd quarter. The young TE is still developing but has made strides so far.
- K Shayne Graham made all four of his extra point attempts in his first game as a New York Giant.
RD – nygreporter.com