Playoffs NFL Week 18: Giants vs. Falcons, Game Notes

NEW YORK – Giants fans were treated to a sweet victory today as the G-Men beat down the Atlanta Falcons 24-2 at MetLife stadium. The first playoff victory in the new stadium’s short history. I hope our readers missed me, as I took a much needed break from writing this past week to recover from the holidays. I was hoping to bring our readers some good news today and the Giants came through for us. It seems like the Giants continue to turn things up a notch each week because this was another fun game to watch as a fan. The Giants offense gave up a safety in the second quarter but the Giants defense literally shut out a very good offense.

The first quarter started out sluggish and there were a ton of three and outs for both teams. I really thought this would turn out to be a dull defensive battle with little scoring. Before the game, I predicted a Giants win by the score of 35-31. I thought this would be a much more competitive game then it turned out to be. Neither team scored in the first quarter and the second quarter saw a rare safety against Big Blue and a Hakeem Nicks TD reception. The Giants took a bizarre 7-2 lead into the locker room at halftime and had all of the momentum on their side. That TD would be all of the points the Giants would need to win, as the defense simply mauled the Falcons all day and refused to give up any first downs. Even as the Falcons attempted to make two 4th and 1 first downs, the fierce Giants defense simply were not having it today and shut them out. If you weren’t a believer in the Giants yet, you should be now.

The Giants will play the Green Bay Packers at 4:30 PM EST next weekend in Green Bay. It’s deja vu all over again!

Let’s take a look at some of my notes from the game.

QB Eli Manning – Manning continued his elite march on opponents finishing with 277 yards 3 TD’s and 0 INT’s.

WR Hakeem Nicks – Nicks showed why he is a number one WR today by exploding for 115 yards and 2 TD’s. Nice game Hakeem!

RB Ahmad Bradshaw – AB is a nasty runner. He is simply a tough guy out there and finished with 63 yards.

DE Justin Tuck – The defensive leader was making plays all over the field and clogging up holes out there.

LB Michael Boley – Boley continued his stellar play against his former team and seems to instinctively know where the ball is going to be.

WR Mario Manningham – Super Mario had a solid game today and it was nice to see him back in the mix. He finished with 68 yards and 1 TD.

DT Rocky Bernard – Rocky had a nice game in the middle and finished with 1 sack. It seemed like every defensive player was putting in work today and celebrating good plays.

S Antrel Rolle – The hard hitting Rolle was second on the team in tackles and once again made himself useful all over the field.

DE Jason Pierre-Paul – You down with JPP? The Beast lead all defensive tacklers despite multiple double teams. He cannot be contained.

RB Brandon Jacobs – Jacobs must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning because he was running like a mad man and finished with 92 yards.

DE Osi Umenyiora – I’m going to make new towels for fans that read ‘Pay Osi’! He had another good game and finished with 1 sack.

CB Corey Webster – Webster has been solid all year and once again had a good game. He was getting into scuffles with Falcons WR Roddy White, who was clearly frustrated.

WR Victor Cruz – Cruz was getting double teamed and mugged all day. All that did was free up Nicks and Manningham. Pick your poison.

LB Jacquian Williams – Williams was once again in the top five for Big Blue tacklers. This outstanding rookie has become one of my favorite players.

S Kenny Phillips – Phillips was doing his thing out there and creeping. He made some big hits and continues to be a leader for the DB’s.

LB Chase Blackburn - Blackburn has really been making a difference on the field and I cannot say it enough, I’m glad he is back.

RB DJ Ware - Ware was running hard as usual but left the game with a concussion and did not return.

CB Aaron Ross – Ross was very active in todays game but also left the game with a concussion and did not return.

TE Jake Ballard – Ballard had a couple of catches for 16 yards in his return to the field. I expect him to be more active next week against the Packers.

P Steve Weatherford - I really hope the Giants lock down Weatherford with a long term contract. A punter with his attitude and demeanor is a perfect for New York.

K Lawrence Tynes – Tynes missed a FG again and made one. He also made all three of his extra point attempts. It may be time to say goodbye.

Giants Defense – Two words, completely dominating.

Giants Offense – The offense has been extremely productive the past few weeks and they are coming together at the perfect time.

Giants Special Teams – This group still makes me shake my head and I expect big improvements after the season, if not sooner.

RD – nygreporter.com

Please Support The Wounded Warrior Project by Clicking Here, You Are Not Forgotten!!

14 Responses to Playoffs NFL Week 18: Giants vs. Falcons, Game Notes

1. bobbyg says:

glad you were able to take a break buddy.awesome feeling today,just finished cheering tebow on.i call this week,visiting the ghosts of the past like in 2007.all teams that beat us in the regular season,we will beat in the playoffs like 2007.lets enjoy this one buddy,we have to get tynes ready to kick the game winning field goal next weekend in 20 below weather lol.its funny that when the game was in hand today against atlanta,when tynes missed that field goal it made me livid.especially knowing what the g-men need to do next weekend to be victorous in a tight game.but an awesome victory in all aspects, except for the field goal miss,this giants unit is becoming the team we knew they could be right before our eyes going into the divisional playoff game with green bay.im a happy giants fan today.

• robdomaine says:

Hey Bobby, we did it man! Great win yesterday huh? I had to take that little break because I was exhausted from the holidays and also writing an article each and every day for the Christmas special I did. I feel alive and in a great mood today. I really like how the G-Men turned up the heat yesterday and really started playing like we know they can. It was as you say, another stress free game from start to finish. Tynes better not miss anymore FG’s on this playoff run. That guy scares me more then Ray Lewis lol. Enjoy the victory buddy!

2. AJ says:

Rob – thanks for the summary & notes. I was there again and it was rocking. The D has not been this dominant since 2007. The potential for next week is huge. I think the packers can be taken & Rodgers has not played in 3 weeks. I think this team is hungry and looking mentally tough (2 4th & 1 stops). They also play well on the road.

Go Big Blue!!

• robdomaine says:

Hey AJ what’s up buddy? That one was one heck of a game man. I agree with you too. The team was playing on another level yesterday that I haven’t seen yet this season. If they can continue to play on that level, there is a solid chance of making it back to the Super Bowl and winning it. Bring on Green Bay and let’s see what happens.

Go Giants!!

• ajcnj56 says:

I think this team is playing with abandon right now. Noone expected them to be here, so anything they accomplish from here on out is pure gravy! Eli is throwing so well, and if we can run the ball against GB that opens up play action, which mean the middle will be WIDE OPEN! I would love to see Jacobs or Hynoski run over Woodson!

Going to be exciting week!

3. bobbyg says:

im a big advocate of going in on a roll guys.i believe the bi-week for the packers is going to be an advantage for the g-men.if the giants pass rush is playing the way it is in the last three weeks,big blue has one heck of a shot plus they know they could hang with these guys.big blue keeps the game close in what should be 15 below temps and watch the pack start to make mistakes.great feeling to be a giants fan.

• ajcnj56 says:

I agree Bobby – I think the week off may have gotten GB healthier, but I also think there is nothing like playing every week especially going into the playoffs. I think GB is going to be ready, but I also think we are not going to back down.

4. bobbyg says:

as a giants fan i have to thank the redskins for kicking the giants butts 4 weeks ago.because whatever the motivational speech was in the g-mens locker room stuck in the giants players minds, and as distraught as i was as a giants fan for that loss 4 weeks ago,that was the catalyst that started this incredible roll.i think rex ryan deserves some credit for mouthing off and actually waking up a bunch of sleeping giants making big blue forever kings of new york.remember,it only takes a snowflake to start an avalanche,and here come the g-men running down that hill like rolling thunder at there opponents.

• robdomaine says:

Hey Bobby, I think Strahan gave that motivational speech right? It would be nice if we got a few more players back from injury too. I’m anxious to hear about Ross and Ware, if Ross can’t go then the Prince will take his place. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing yet because he hasn’t had much playing time. We will have to wait and see.

• bobbyg says:

Hopefully ross will be there ready to play.if not,the prince will have to grow up real fast and become a king for big blue lol.im ready for corey webster to have a big game in that wintery mix of weather against a packers secondary that can be had.this is the deal,big blues defense has to continue the way they have been the last few weeks and bring even more heat into that packers backfield.its starting to feel like 2007 rob.i love the fact that rodgers has not played in a couple of weeks and the gmen are snowballing on a roll.early prediction,g-men been there done that.20 degrees below zero even for a home team is a little much,g-men trade punches early and often.big blue D gets the bigger plays to ice this one,no pun intended.new york giants 31,green bay packers 17.

• robdomaine says:

It looks like Ross could play from I have been hearing. Throwing Prince into the mix in such a huge game would concern me. He was really lost on a few plays I saw on Sunday where he was throwing his hands up like he didn’t understand the play. He will get better but his 2011 season will be filled with mistakes.

That is a bold prediction for Big Blue and I hope you are right. If they win by that many points I would be shocked. But hey I was shocked by the blow out win last weekend too lol.

5. Dan Hanaczewski says:

Rob,
    Thank you for the article, I enjoy reading your insight of the team.
    They did it again! What an incredible game it was to watch for the fans. I was pleasantly surprised by the final score, shocked really accuratley describes it, but I’ll take it anyday! I also bELIeve in momentum especially in the playoffs. Our G-MEN have been able to get it going these past three weeks now…keep it going GENTS! I know that there are alot of comparisons to the ’07 campaign and I think this team has that something special in them to make this dream a reality. I’m sure there will be NO FEAR from the GIANT locker room this week as they know they can beat those guys…kind of like the ’07 patriots…BRING ON THE pack! No discount double check “dance” move for rogers this week bud! As always…GO GIANTS!!

• robdomaine says:

Hey Dan, what’s up buddy? Thanks for the kind words. I was very surprised by the beat down they gave too. I really thought it would be a high scoring game and the Giants would win but only by 4 points or so. This was a complete surprise and a welcome one at that. I feel pretty good about playing the Packers this week too. I think they still remember the mojo form back in the day and we played them pretty close this year too. It’s going to be a long week until game day lol don’t be a stranger buddy!