NEW YORK – Well Giants fans, we have come to the end of the road. The final game of the 2010 NFL regular season was played today. It’s crazy how quickly the year has gone by, as we are now in 2011. The field in Washington was atrocious and had the players changing their cleats early in the 1st quarter. The internet was buzzing first thing this morning about the game today and the help New York would need from Chicago to make the playoffs. I knew right then, this was going to be a long day but the Giants beat the Redskins 17-14 in a close game.
The first quarter was sloppy as usual for both teams. Sloppy in terms of game play and not penalties because there weren’t any in the first half. The Giants took an early 3-0 lead in the first quarter. It should have been 3-3 but Redskins kicker Gano missed a chippy shot at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter was almost as sloppy with both teams turning the ball over. Eli Manning had yet another tipped ball INT, which must have set some NFL record because I have seem tons of them this season. The one word that sums up the Giants 2010 NFL season? Turnovers.
The Giants led 10-7 at halftime but Washington QB Rex Grossman was looking like a baller against the Giants defense during the first half. The second half of football was a bit slow with very few big plays. Things continued like this until the final seconds ticked off the game clock. To be honest, the Giants were lucky to pull out this win against the NFL’s worst 32nd ranked defense in Washington. Fans were holding their breath at the end of this game, something fans should not have had to do.
Giants fans everywhere found themselves trying to follow the Bears/Packers game in any way possible. Fans who traveled to Washington noted that the Redskins did not show the score at their stadium, something the team decided to do on their own. But it just wasn’t meant to be as the Packers beat the Bears and destroyed the Giants playoff hopes despite the victory over Washington.
So the Giants finish the season at 10-6 and 2nd place in the NFC East. Not a bad season but certainly a disappointment to the fans and Giants organization as a whole for missing the playoffs two years in a row.
The New York Giants 2010 NFL season is officially over!
Let’s take a look at some of my notes from the game today.
- QB Eli Manning had a decent game and finished with 243 yards 1 TD and 1 INT
- RB Brandon Jacobs had a pretty good game and finished with 49 yards and 1 TD.
- WR Mario Manningham had a good game including a 92 yard TD catch in the third quarter. He finished with 101 yards and 1 TD.
- OL Rich Seubert was carted off the field in the 1st quarter with a dislocated knee cap. He was in a lot of pain and I hope he is OK.
- DT Barry Cofield made significant contributions to the team today including batting down a ball in the 1st quarter.
- CB Terrell Thomas had a very nice day and led all defensive tacklers in the game.
- TE Kevin Boss had a couple of catches and finished with 29 yards.
- LB Jonathan Goff had a very nice game and was making plays all over the field. He also had a forced fumble.
- WR Derek Hagan had a nice game but also dropped a sure TD in the endzone during the 1st quarter. He finished with 70 yards.
- RB Ahmad Bradshaw had a very quiet game and finished with only 22 yards.
- DE Justin Tuck had a good game, much better then the final stats say. Not bad for a guy who got into a car accident on New Year’s Eve.
- CB Aaron Ross was returning punts today once again for Big Blue.
- DE Jason Pierre-Paul continues to develop into a monster player. This guy had a key fumble recovery and is going to be special.
- OL Kevin Boothe replaced OL Rich Seubert who went down with an injury.
- DE Osi Umenyiora made some key plays for the Giants defense today including 2 forced fumbles and 2 sacks. He set an NFL record with 10 forced fumbles in a season.
- S Antrel Rolle is simply a baller. He had another solid game for Big Blue.
- The Giants defense had a shaky game but came together when it mattered. They set a new NFL record for recovered forced fumbles (22) in a season and finished with 2 sacks, 1 INT and 3 forced fumbles.
- The Giants offensive line was playing on fumes and did an outstanding job considering how many starting players were out. They did not allow a sack.
- K Lawrence Tynes who was enjoying an awesome year, missed a crucial FG late in the third quarter. He also made 1 FG and both extra point attempts.
- P Matt Dodge continued his awful rookie season by having another up and down game.
RD – nygreporter.com