NEW YORK – To say that the Giants have been busy the past 48 hours is an understatement. The Giants could hit the 15-17 player signings benchmark by tonight if they continue at this pace. I see what Giants GM Jerry Reese is doing and it is fun to take this journey of evolution with him and guess what happens because he is not showing his hand. You must know the team well enough to come up with scenarios and quite frankly, if you’re one of those writers who has given up, don’t steal my formulas or ideas and print them as your own. I read everything related to the Giants daily. It’s like a kick in the gut when you put two and two together and check the timelines for story releases. If you want my work, pay me, don’t be a hack.
Now back to business, the Giants have made about a dozen deals over the last 48 hours and show no signs of stopping today. They know the cream of the crop is almost completely devoured by now and will make a couple more moves in my opinion by Friday night. It’s safe to say the Giants have addressed the tight end and cornerback areas considerably thus far. They also have S Chad Jones, CB Prince Amukamara, CB Corey Webster to work with too and TE Jake Ballard and TE Travis Beckum. How about signing both of the Andrews brothers (Shawn and Stacy)? Get those guys up to speed and on the field together and see what happens. I also think that signing DE Osi Umenyiora, S Deon Grant, LB Chase Blackburn are crucial for the defense and special teams group.
Let’s take a look at what has happened thus far. Giants GM Jerry Reese has solidified the cornerback position on defense. He knows the defensive line is fine but if a good deal presents itself, who knows? He knows the safety group is fine, maybe add one more. This tells me he will be attacking the linebacker group via the upcoming NFL draft. If he catches lightning in a bottle with a future LT, I think he will use the majority of the other picks on offense. I think it will be a LB or OL taken in round one this year. I hope it is another athletic linebacker to help out but at the same time think a ten year offensive lineman is needed right now. The recent roster moves also tell me the offensive line will be addressed via the draft and certainly the running back position.
Here are some of the recent signings by Big Blue this week. Some of the deals did not publicly state the terms.
These roster moves are valid as of 3/15/12 at 8:00 AM:
1. CB Terrell Thomas, 6’0″ 200 pounds – 4 year deal, fair and smart move.
2. WR Domenik Hixon, 6’2″ 185 pounds – 1 year deal, worth the shot.
3. CB Michael Coe, 6’0″ 190 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
4. CB Bruce Johnson, 5’11” 185 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
5. TE Jake Ballard, 6’6″ 256 pounds – I like this signing a lot. Well done.
6. CB Justin Tryon, 5’9″ 190 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
7. QB David Carr, 6’3″ 215 pounds – I have always liked Carr.
8. TE Martellus Bennett, 6’6″ 270 pounds – 1 year deal, smart.
9. P Steve Weatherford, 6’2″ 211 pounds – Franchise tag, brilliant.
10. TE Larry Donnell, 6’6″ 269 pounds – No NFL experience.
11. OL Joel Reinders, 6’8″ 317 pounds – No NFL experience.
Keep an eye on players who were released, free agent markets:
1. RB Brandon Jacobs – Released by team. Surprising move and I hope he can return for a new restructured contract.
2. WR Mario Manningham – I hope we can re-sign Super Mario somehow but right now he is checking out the 49ers free agent market.
3. CB Aaron Ross – Visiting teams as we speak, Washington was the most recent. Really Aaron?
4. OL Kareem McKenzie – Restructure the contract for less money and get that 3rd ring and maybe Ring of Honor one day.
5. S Deon Grant – Both sides need to get this done. I love the way this man plays football.
6. LB Chase Blackburn – This guy is a big deal and he proved it again last season. Give him 3 years.
7. DE Dave Tollefson – He plays with the best defensive line in football and holds his own. Worth re-signing.
8. TE Kevin Boss – Rumors of him returning are doubtful after Martellus Bennett signing. Maybe not?
9. WR Plaxico Burress – Rumors of his return are most likely just that, rumors.
10. WR Steve Smith – This is an interesting possibility if they lose Mario Manningham. It’s doubtful to ever happen.
11. DE Osi Umenyiora – Pay this man the money he has earned and work it out like Manning’s contract or something.
What are your thoughts on the recent transactions made by the New York Giants? Feel free to leave a comment below.
RD – nygreporter.com
Check out New York Giants Team Captain, Justin Tuck’s camp info here Justin Tuck ProCamps.
Great article. Thanks so much for keeping us informned in what’s going on with our team.
Hey Annie, thanks very much! Don’t be a stranger this season, we want to hear what you think about the team too. Enjoy the weekend if we don’t speak!
What do you think about the recent moves they made?
I agree on all the signings to date.MM is barking up the wrong trees. Of all the teams left, besides Miami or Minn, he would be a #3, which is what he did not want. With Drew as his agent, I see him in Dallas or SF. Follow the money. I would love Mike Tolbert in the backfield!
Hey AJ, what’s up buddy? I like what Reese is doing too. He is so steady and methodical in his approach, it might come off as indifferent because he is so focused. He is making a bid at ring number three and I like it.
Reese is the master at work rob.i will look forward to another blockbuster signing by friday hopefully.i have this funny feeling jacobs could be back or possibly manningham if nothing pops for him by the weekend.all in all i love what reese is doing and thanks for keeping us up on things.of course i steal everything you write and put it in the fort meyers papers lol just joshing.
He is certainly a cunning fellow and I’m sure he isn’t done yet. but he does have a certain number to work with only before having to let more guys go.
Safety chris horton seems to have the injury bug from 09 and 10.but if he is healthy it could be a depth move. with all the injuries last season the last thing you want is a guy thats been out a couple of years in his career already,but we will keep a good thought.still waiting for a blockbuster for friday.
Yeah I’ve been reading up on him too, I guess this means bad news for Deon Grant. I would have liked to keep Grant to compliment Phillips and Rolle. I wonder if Chad Jones is healthy enough yet to give it a shot too.
I also cannot believe mario williams went to buffalo.isnt that where good ball players go to pass away before building fantasy numbers lol.you had me really thinking the gmen might have had a shot with that one rob.too much cash for one player though.im starting to see a plan behind these moves reese is making and i think your right on with your draft projections.tomorrow is friday buddy,you think they have a good one in store for us,i know you said after the third day its like picking bones in a graveyard lol,i added the graveyard part.
I know that is crazy. Williams is a freak. Reese is locking down the tight end and cornerback positions and removing any doubt fro his own mind. Very smart and methodical approach. of course a GM never stops thinking but you know what I mean.
i remember my head spinning with last seasons free agent frenzy and not understanding what was going on with mindset of the g-men.but i could actually see a plan forming here and it looks like they are setting up for another run.the pieces are in place at the nucleus of the team,now reese is building the perimeter.depth seems to be the theme for the g-men while other teams are looking for the big price studs and im understanding just from last year big price studs is not what its about.its talent at the positions then talent at the depth of all positions.the wall for eli will come via draft.
I remember that very well too buddy. We lost WR Steve Smith, TE Kevin Boss, OL Rich Seubert and C Shaun O’Hara to name a few and I was in awe. But it turned out alright in the end which is good. It looks like Jerry Reese made the right choices for now and we should see a little more action next week but after that I expect everything to go straight to the NFL draft.
I agree buddy.the rest will be addressed with the draft and the big bodies on the o-line for eli.
We sure could use some depth of the O-line, no doubt!
Great work RD. I just discovered your site. Please, can you place the date and time of your posts at the very beginning? Up above, I can’t identify on which day — and, what time of day — you posted the news piece. Thank you very much. Charles of San Clemente
Hey Charles, welcome buddy! I could not agree with you more about the date being at the top but it is the template I’m using. Each new article can be found as the first story. If you click the “nygreporter” banner on the top of the page, it will always bring you back to the current story. You can also find the dates of the articles at the bottom of each story. I would prefer it on top too but it doesn’t work that way with this template. Don’t be a stranger! Go Giants!