NEW YORK – To say that the Giants have been busy the past 48 hours is an understatement. The Giants could hit the 15-17 player signings benchmark by tonight if they continue at this pace. I see what Giants GM Jerry Reese is doing and it is fun to take this journey of evolution with him and guess what happens because he is not showing his hand. You must know the team well enough to come up with scenarios and quite frankly, if you’re one of those writers who has given up, don’t steal my formulas or ideas and print them as your own. I read everything related to the Giants daily. It’s like a kick in the gut when you put two and two together and check the timelines for story releases. If you want my work, pay me, don’t be a hack.
Now back to business, the Giants have made about a dozen deals over the last 48 hours and show no signs of stopping today. They know the cream of the crop is almost completely devoured by now and will make a couple more moves in my opinion by Friday night. It’s safe to say the Giants have addressed the tight end and cornerback areas considerably thus far. They also have S Chad Jones, CB Prince Amukamara, CB Corey Webster to work with too and TE Jake Ballard and TE Travis Beckum. How about signing both of the Andrews brothers (Shawn and Stacy)? Get those guys up to speed and on the field together and see what happens. I also think that signing DE Osi Umenyiora, S Deon Grant, LB Chase Blackburn are crucial for the defense and special teams group.
Let’s take a look at what has happened thus far. Giants GM Jerry Reese has solidified the cornerback position on defense. He knows the defensive line is fine but if a good deal presents itself, who knows? He knows the safety group is fine, maybe add one more. This tells me he will be attacking the linebacker group via the upcoming NFL draft. If he catches lightning in a bottle with a future LT, I think he will use the majority of the other picks on offense. I think it will be a LB or OL taken in round one this year. I hope it is another athletic linebacker to help out but at the same time think a ten year offensive lineman is needed right now. The recent roster moves also tell me the offensive line will be addressed via the draft and certainly the running back position.
Here are some of the recent signings by Big Blue this week. Some of the deals did not publicly state the terms.
These roster moves are valid as of 3/15/12 at 8:00 AM:
1. CB Terrell Thomas, 6’0″ 200 pounds – 4 year deal, fair and smart move.
2. WR Domenik Hixon, 6’2″ 185 pounds – 1 year deal, worth the shot.
3. CB Michael Coe, 6’0″ 190 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
4. CB Bruce Johnson, 5’11” 185 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
5. TE Jake Ballard, 6’6″ 256 pounds – I like this signing a lot. Well done.
6. CB Justin Tryon, 5’9″ 190 pounds – Smart signing to bolster DB’s.
7. QB David Carr, 6’3″ 215 pounds – I have always liked Carr.
8. TE Martellus Bennett, 6’6″ 270 pounds – 1 year deal, smart.
9. P Steve Weatherford, 6’2″ 211 pounds – Franchise tag, brilliant.
10. TE Larry Donnell, 6’6″ 269 pounds – No NFL experience.
11. OL Joel Reinders, 6’8″ 317 pounds – No NFL experience.
Keep an eye on players who were released, free agent markets:
1. RB Brandon Jacobs – Released by team. Surprising move and I hope he can return for a new restructured contract.
2. WR Mario Manningham – I hope we can re-sign Super Mario somehow but right now he is checking out the 49ers free agent market.
3. CB Aaron Ross – Visiting teams as we speak, Washington was the most recent. Really Aaron?
4. OL Kareem McKenzie – Restructure the contract for less money and get that 3rd ring and maybe Ring of Honor one day.
5. S Deon Grant – Both sides need to get this done. I love the way this man plays football.
6. LB Chase Blackburn – This guy is a big deal and he proved it again last season. Give him 3 years.
7. DE Dave Tollefson – He plays with the best defensive line in football and holds his own. Worth re-signing.
8. TE Kevin Boss – Rumors of him returning are doubtful after Martellus Bennett signing. Maybe not?
9. WR Plaxico Burress – Rumors of his return are most likely just that, rumors.
10. WR Steve Smith – This is an interesting possibility if they lose Mario Manningham. It’s doubtful to ever happen.
11. DE Osi Umenyiora – Pay this man the money he has earned and work it out like Manning’s contract or something.
What are your thoughts on the recent transactions made by the New York Giants? Feel free to leave a comment below.
RD – nygreporter.com
Check out New York Giants Team Captain, Justin Tuck’s camp info here Justin Tuck ProCamps.