Today was the final day of the 2010 New York Giants training camp. Twenty days have come and gone and we’ve learned some interesting facts about the players. The Giants beat the Jets in their first preseason game and will now face the Steelers tomorrow night at New Meadowlands stadium at 7 PM EST.
Fans will get an opportunity to see QB Rhett Bomar lead the offense for most of the game. Bomar was taking mostly second and third string reps at training camp. QB Eli Manning will sit this one out as he heals up from the head laceration he received on Monday night. QB Jim Sorgi is also banged up and expect to miss some playing time. Now that camp is over, I expect to see a lot of player movement.
The 2010 New York Giants training camp is officially over but that doesn’t mean that Big Blue is done practicing. I expect the coaches to ramp up the intensity to prepare the team for the new season. Tom Coughlin has his lists and OC Kevin Gilbride is drawing up plays somewhere in the facility. New DC Perry Fewell is working on strategies like a mad scientist. Special teams coach Tom Quinn is facing one of the toughest challenges of the 2010 NFL season. There isn’t much time left before the first regular season game. Fans can expect to see things moving much more rapidly now.
I’m actually surprised by how many negative comments I have seen from sports “experts” about the Giants. Maybe they can’t see what the rest of us can see or maybe they are right and yet to be vindicated. I simply have to believe that the 2010 team will be much better then the injury plagued 2009 season. There have already been a few injuries in 2010 that have had fans shaking their heads. The injury list simply can’t get out of hand this season or they will have no shot.
Let’s take a look at some of the news from this week about the New York Giants.
– QB Eli Manning was cut in the Monday night game and required 12 stitches.
– QB Eli Manning will not play in the Giants second preseason game tomorrow night versus the Pittsburgh Steelers.
– The New York Giants will play their first ever home opener at the new stadium.
– Backup QB Jim Sorgi will miss 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury he got from a hit he took against the Jets.
– The Giants cut OL Cliff Louis, who they recently signed to bolster the offensive line.
– The Giants cut TE Jake Ballard to make room for QB Dominic Randolph.
– The Giants signed OL Shawn Andrews who is a former two-time pro bowler for the Philadelphia Eagles.
– Backup QB Rhett Bomar will play almost the entire game against Pittsburgh.
– WR Ramses Barden is banged up and will sit out a few practices.
– The Giants signed QB Dominic Randolph as a backup due to all of the injuries at QB.
– Rookie punter Matt Dodge seems to be having a rough time adjusting and may need more work then originally expected.
– OL William Beatty appears to be the man at left tackle, something Giants fans might see for the next eight or nine years straight.
– Rookie DE Jason Pierre-Paul has reportedly already put on 12 pounds of muscle weighing in at 282 pounds.
– Safety Kenny Phillips seems to be doing very well thus far. Fans are praying that Phillips can remain healthy all season.
– 39,875 total Giants fans attended the training camp in Albany this year. It was the fifth best year since they began fifteen years ago upstate.
– Rookie WR Victor Cruz emerged and made a name for himself Monday night. This kid has star written all over him.
– LB Keith Bulluck and S Kenny Phillips are set to make their Giants debut tomorrow night versus the Steelers.
– LB Chase Blackburn and OL Chris Snee are still banged up and sidelined. Not to mention OL Rich Seubert.
Who do you think is going to win the game between the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers?
RD – nygreporter.com
PLEASE SUPPORT THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT!!