NEW YORK – The New York Giants traveled to Houston to face a very tough Texans team this Sunday. Someone should have told the Giants they weren’t supposed to win this contest because all they did was dominate the entire game. This was a great day for Big Blue who won 34-10 and seemed to have executed the perfect game plan. I do not like to use the word perfect because that adds a lot of pressure but I will say that the G-Men played extremely well and made the fans proud. My game ball goes to WR Hakeem Nicks and I give Big Blue a B+ grade for the victory.
OC Kevin Gilbride seemed to be in the zone with his play calling, which was much more aggressive then any previous game this year. DC Perry Fewell seems to be getting very comfortable in his new role and Tom Coughlin had a little more pep in his step on the sidelines all day. This is New York Giants football and the fans have to be excited from what they saw today. The Giants are now 3-2 on the season and have some momentum going into week 6.
QB Eli Manning has had an up and down season thus far but the one thing I have been surprised about is the amount of INT’s he has thrown. Some of them have come from mistakes by the wide receivers tipping the ball into the air but the others were definitely Easy Eli’s fault. He has been shaky at times and made some poor choices. I’m not overly concerned about it because I know what he can do but I wonder if it is due to a lack of confidence in the offensive line lately. He seems to be “hearing the footsteps” a lot more this year then he has in seasons past.
Let’s take a look at some of my notes from the game today.
– QB Eli Manning had a good game and seemed to be in a zone the entire first half. He finished with 297 yard 3 TD’s and 2 INT’s.
– WR Hakeem Nicks continues to shine and had another monster game. He finished with 130 yards and 2 TD’s.
– The Giants defense has taken their game to another level this week with another impressive performance. They finished with 3 sacks, 1 INT and 2 forced fumbles.
– The Giants need to find another return man before the trade deadline next week. Darius Reynaud doesn’t appear to be the guy for New York.
– RB Ahmad Bradshaw had another good game and continues to show why he is the number one back. He finished with 67 yards but had important 1st downs.
– The Giants offensive line had a very good day despite all of the injuries they entered the game with. They did not give up a sack today.
– RB Brandon Jacobs has settled into his role nicely and scored another TD for Big Blue. He finished with 41 yards and 1 TD.
– DE Osi Umenyiora had a terrific game for the Giants finishing with 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.
– The Giants are experiencing a very high number of injuries AGAIN this year. Something needs to be done about this. There were 8 players inactive for todays game.
– CB Corey Webster had an INT in the first half. He has been playing much better as of late.
– OL David Diehl left the game in the 2nd quarter with a leg injury. He was replaced by OL Shawn Andrews who finished the game.
– WR Steve Smith had a productive game but seems to be losing a lot of passes to WR Hakeem Nicks lately. He finished with 89 yards and 1 TD.
– The Giants are still turning the ball over way too much and still getting silly penalties. They will not make the playoffs unless this is corrected.
– Kicker Lawrence Tynes had a good day going 2/2 on FG attempts and he made all of his extra points.
RD – nygreporter.com
PLEASE SUPPORT GEORGE MARTIN’S, A JOURNEY FOR 9/11 CHARITY. THE WALK IS ON 10-17-10.