NEW YORK – The New York Giants added a few players to the Ring of Honor this year. These new members bring the total up to 35 former players honored forever. I like when teams do these kind of things for their star players. It builds on tradition for the fans and connects generations. I took a tour of the old Yankee stadium, the year before it was demolished and replaced by the new Yankee stadium.
Monument Park in the Bronx was a unique experience and I enjoyed being able to see how the Yankees set the bar when it comes to honoring the greats of the game. As a fan, I appreciate the classy way the Giants waited almost 100 years to do this but the time has come. I’d like to see John Mara, Tom Coughlin, Ernie Accorsi, Eli Manning, Rodney Hampton, Charles Way, Jeff Feagles, Jason Sehorn, Osi Umenyiora, David Tyree, Shaun O’Hara, Rich Seubert, Keith Hamilton, Chris Snee, Justin Tuck, Brandon Jacobs and a few other players added to the Ring of Honor one day.
Let’s take a look at the list of Giants players immortalized forever.
1. Jessie Armstead, LB – 2010 ROH member
2. Carl Banks, LB – 2011 ROH member
3. Tiki Barber, RB – 2010 ROH member
4. Mark Bavaro, TE – 2011 ROH member
5. Al Blozis, OT – 2010 ROH member
6. Rosey Brown, OT – 2010 ROH member
7. Harry Carson, LB – 2010 ROH member
8. Charlie Conerly, QB – 2010 ROH member
9. Frank Gifford, RB/WR – 2010 ROH member
10. Pete Gogolak, K – 2010 ROH member
11. Mel Hein, LB/C – 2010 ROH member
12. Jim Lee Howell, DE/Coach – 2010 ROH member
13. Sam Huff, LB – 2010 ROH member
14. Dave Jennings, P – 2011 ROH member
15. Tuffy Leemans, RB – 2010 ROH member
16. Dick Lynch, DB – 2010 ROH member
17. Jack Mara, Owner – 2010 ROH member
18. Tim Mara, Owner – 2010 ROH member
19. Wellington Mara, Ball Boy/Owner – 2010 ROH member
20. George Martin, DE – 2010 ROH member
21. Joe Morrison, RB – 2010 ROH member
22. Steve Owen, OT/Coach – 2010 ROH member
23. Bill Parcells, Coach – 2010 ROH member
24. Andy Robustelli, DE – 2010 ROH member
25. Phil Simms, QB – 2010 ROH member
26. Michael Strahan, DE – 2010 ROH member
27. Ken Strong, RB – 2010 ROH member
28. Lawrence Taylor, LB – 2010 ROH member
29. Bob Tisch, Owner – 2010 ROH member
30. Y.A. Tittle, QB – 2010 ROH member
31. Amani Toomer, WR – 2010 ROH member
32. Emlen Tunnell, DB/Coach – 2010 ROH member
33. Brad Van Pelt, LB – 2011 ROH member
34. Alex Webster, FB/Coach – 2011 ROH member
35. George Young, Executive – 2010 ROH member
The Giants have 35 former players inducted into their Ring of Honor. The G-Men have always been about business and they cultivate a team first attitude. That is why there are no distractions such as cheerleaders. Yes, we all love cheerleaders and they have been a part of the game since pee-wee football but at the professional level, they do nothing to help win football games. The Giants remain one of the few teams to play without cheerleaders. Creating a Ring of Honor is a big move for Big Blue. They normally shy away from acknowledging individual achievements but I agree with the move. With such a storied history, remaining silently humble was a disservice to the fans. The rich history was too much to ignore and they made the right decision to shine a light on it.
What are you feelings about the Giants Ring of Honor? Would you change anything about them?
RD – nygreporter.com
Please Support New York Giants Legend, George Martin’s “A Journey for 9/11” Charity. Never Forget!
Very proud to have so many players in the ring of honor. I would like to see Homer Jones put in the Ring of Honor. He was one of the first speed receivers the Giants ever had. He came to the Giants with an knee injury and the Giants took a chance on him, helping him with rehab. He was also the player who many in the NFL attribute inventing the spike. He was exciting every time he had his hands on the ball.
Hey AJ, I feel the same way. I need to take a private tour of the stadium like I did with Yankees stadium and the old Giants stadium. You check out the locker room and everything, it’s very cool, you should try it one day. The Ring of Honor happened during our time, we are here for the beginning.
I will take one of those tours some day! Sounds like fun.