This is going to be difficult to say but the Giants lost their first ever home opener in the new stadium to the Steelers last night 24-17. I thought the team looked a lot better as a whole, then they did against the Jets last week. The defense seemed to be getting in the backfield at will. Backup QB Rhett Bomar did a nice job handling the starter duties. The special teams still need improvement but I would give the team a B- grade for this game.
The Giants will travel to Baltimore for their next preseason game against the Ravens on August 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM EST. Ray Ray is still down there doing his thing and remains a very dangerous man on the field. Most Giants fans still have a bad taste in their mouth about the Ravens beating the G-Men in the Super Bowl back in 2000. Real Giants fans want to beat the Ravens every single time they play them. This is a category that the Carolina Panthers have also now fallen into and hey look at that, the Giants play them in week one.
Let’s take a look at some of my game notes.
– WR Hakeem Nicks got into a fistfight with Ike Taylor in the first quarter. Both were ejected. Coughlin said cooler heads must prevail in those situations.
– DE Justin Tuck had a sack (shared with Kiwi) and played a great game. He looked very fast and light on his feet last night.
– CB Corey Webster had an interception against Big Ben in the game.
– Can we please stop using CB Aaron Ross as a returner (my second request).
– DE Mathias Kiwanuka had a terrific game and seemed to be in on every play, even if he wasn’t the one who got the tackle credit.
– RB Brandon Jacobs was a late scratch from a neck injury he suffered while lifting weights (he was doing shrugs).
– Rookie WR Victor Cruz had another good game with 2 receptions for 30 yards (15 yard average).
– Backup QB Rhett Bomar had a decent game under the circumstances and is clearly not afraid to run the ball. He was 13/26 for 167 yards 0 TD’s 1 INT in the air and had 3 rushes for 21 yards on the ground.
– RB Andre Brown had an up and down game but finished strong with 61 yards and a TD on 13 carries.
– RB DJ Ware was injured early in the game and was carted off.
– Rookie LB Adrian Tracy lead all tacklers with nine on defense.
– LB Keith Bulluck and S Kenny Phillips saw their first action last night.
– RB Ahmad Bradshaw scored a TD early in the game and had 28 yards on 6 carries.
– K Lawrence Tynes hit a 42 yard FG and made both of his extra point attempts. He has been having a good year so far.
– The special teams still need a lot of work. This is going to be crucial now that there are only two more preseason games remaining.
– Giants DC Perry Fewell had a solid game plan and was making the right calls during the game.
– Backup QB Jim Sorgi will most likely miss the remainder of the Giants preseason games.
– DE Osi Umenyiora had a very good game and seemed to have his burst back. If he is healthy, he should be starting opposite Tuck.
– The secondary still seemed a bit disorganized back there but they turned things around by the end of the game.
– WR Steve Smith lead all receivers with 53 yards on two receptions and also had the play of the game for Big Blue.
– The time of possession was pretty close with Big Blue grabbing 28:25 of the game.
– The Giants defense gave up 412 total offensive yards to the Steelers.
– The New Meadowlands stadium is amazing when lit up in Giant Blue.
Did you watch the Giants play the Steelers last night? What did you think about the game?
RD – nygreporter.com
PLEASE SUPPORT THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT!!