The New York Giants have completed their afternoon session of the mandatory mini camp, which began this morning. Early estimates by the associated press say about 7,000 New York Giants fans attended the “open practice”. The team advertised free tickets to the practice on their website, Giants.com and we also wrote an article about it here. It was a great day to be at the stadium because the weather was perfect.
The New York Giants finished their first day of a three day mandatory mini camp. There was a minor scuffle between the offensive and defensive lineman today during the afternoon practice, it was broken up very quickly and all was forgiven. Reportedly, Pierre-Paul and Osi were locked up with some offensive lineman. It’s good to see the two team mates sticking together, even if it was a short and meaningless scuffle. When the team gets to Albany it might not be such a minor thing. I expect some huge battles for starting roles on the defense, especially at the linebacker and defensive linemen positions.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights of the afternoon practice. Check out Giants.com for video of player interviews.
– WR Domenik Hixon went down grabbing his knee shortly before 3 PM EST. He remained on the sidelines with his knee wrapped up and did not return to practice.
– QB Eli Manning had a good practice and said he is very excited for the new season. He looks like he put on some muscle during the off season.
– CB Aaron Ross is on the field and getting back into fighting shape. He will surely be getting the rust off and hopefully returning to form in 2010.
– LT William Beatty has been playing with the first team offensive linemen. LT David Diehl has been moved to the LG position with the first team.
– Punters Matt Dodge and Jy Bond have a battle going on. Both of them have been impressive today. Dodge kicks further then Bond but Bond has more hang time.
– LB Clint Sintim owned up to having a less then acceptable rookie season and vows to be better in 2010. I believe him.
– S Kenny Phillips was all smiles after practice, while being interviewed in the locker room. He still remains a question mark for the season.
– DT Justin Tuck had a good practice and sounds like he is all business for this season.
– DE Osi Umenyiora has given new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell a good grade so far. Osi expects to have a solid season.
– The Giants defense has been experimenting with four defensive ends (Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, JPP) during mini camp.
Who do you expect the 2010 breakout player for the New York Giants will be?
RD – nygreporter.com