The New York Giants completed day two of their mandatory mini camp today. The team learned that WR Domenik Hixon will miss the 2010 season with a torn ACL. That is not a good way to kick off practices in 2010. The G-men were decimated by injuries in 2009 and I believe I heard a collective “no way man”, when hearing of Hixon’s misfortune at practice yesterday. The first injured reserve victim of the new year is a tough loss for Giants fans to accept. It is possible that the team could bring in another MLB to keep things interesting. More then likely, Giants GM Jerry Reese, will bring in or promote another wide receiver though.
Former Giants WR David Tyree stopped by for a visit recently, perhaps the team may consider bringing him back. We know that he is a special teams guy, who has made the pro bowl during his rookie year. We need help in that area and I hear he is pretty good as a WR, when you need someone to make a clutch catch. You never know, right?
The Giants had a morning session and an afternoon session again today, mimicking the schedule from yesterday. We are now only six weeks away from the beginning of training camp in Albany, New York. I’m curious to see who the team will add to the roster to replace Hixon. I’m sure that we will not have to wait long to find out.
Let’s take a look at some of the bullet points from the Giants practice today.
– WR Domenik Hixon is out for the 2010 season. He has a torn ACL. Get well soon Dom!
– WR Ramses Barden, is catching a lot of passes in practice and getting praise from the coaches. He had another good practice today.
– TE Kevin Boss will be ready for training camp. He is very optimistic and eager to get on the field.
– RB Andre Brown has shown some speed and explosiveness on the field. It appears he is healed up after missing the entire 2009 season (his rookie year).
– OT William Beatty is really being used quite a bit with the first team. This second year player could have a breakout year.
– WR Hakeem Nicks missed the morning practice but played in the afternoon. He seems to be doing fine now.
– Giants DC Perry Fewell has been experimenting like a mad scientist, now that he has all the defensive players in front of him. He is well liked so far.
– Giants GM Jerry Reese was reported to have said that a trade for another player is still a possibility. This is shocking if the reports are correct, I’ve never heard Jerry Reese talk publicly about a trade.
Are you getting excited for the 2010 NFL season to start?
RD – nygreporter.com