Can Fantasy Football Survive a Cancelled 2011 Season?

May 12, 2011

NEW YORK – I have been a fantasy football player since 1999. I have seen that industry grow into a $15 billion dollar a year beast. There are only a handful of websites that can claim to be big time in that industry. Among them are CBSSports.com, ESPN.com and NFL.com to name the big three in my opinion. If the 2011 NFL season is cancelled, I am sure that those three sports sites will be fine. But what about the smaller websites that offer fantasy games or the emerging fantasy sites people don’t know about yet? I’m sure this is the furthest thing on the NFL’s mind but it is just another issue that will arise from the 2011 lockout that has now reached 62 days.

Could the 2011 NFL lockout actually benefit the larger sports sites, by creating a monopoly on fantasy football by eliminating competition through attrition? I know there are a lot of people out there who could care less about fantasy football but the fact remains that thousands of people have jobs working on the game. The economy is bad enough right now without adding a few thousand more people to the unemployment line. Sure there will be fantasy basketball and hockey that will emerge in the fall but everyone knows the bread and butter of fantasy sports is football. If the NFL cancels the 2011 season, fantasy staffs all over the country will be cut in half or laid off. The reality of “no football” until September 2012 would set in immediately and effect the economy instantly.

Personally, I do not think they will cancel this season. The amount of money is so great that the players or owners will eventually give in. The players I feel bad for are guys like New York Giants DT Barry Cofield who get stuck in the middle. Here is a guy who has played his heart out since being drafted by New York and he could wind up getting the shaft over politics. Free agents are the walking dead right now with zero options. I am a big Cofield fan and hope the team does the right thing with him. We all understand it is a business but giving Chris Canty almost 3 times the money Cofield makes is a joke. I have nothing against Mr. Canty but even he knows Cofield had a better season then he did last year. There is no denying that fact. Barry Cofield is a Giant through and through and deserves some respect for his contributions to the team. Cofield expressed his frustration in an article this week that I found to be honest and truthful. What do you think about his situation?

Top New York Giants for 2011 Fantasy Football

1. WR Hakeem Nicks

2. QB Eli Manning

3. WR Steve Smith

4. NYG Defense

5. RB Ahmad Bradshaw

6. RB Brandon Jacobs

7. WR Mario Manningham

8. TE Kevin Boss

Would you add or subtract anyone from the list above? Do you think there will be a 2011 NFL season?

RD – nygreporter.com

Please support the Eric LeGrand charity walk this June 4, 2011! Check it out at http://www.awalktobelieve.org

2011 NFL Schedule: New York Giants Edition

April 19, 2011

NEW YORK – The NFL announced the 2011 regular season schedule today on the 39th day of the lockout. Talk about a contradiction. They should be required to add the proverbial “asterisk” next to the schedule like they do in baseball for steroids. Just to let the fans know that there still might be an interruption to the 2011 season. Hey, thanks!

I do not mean to sound condescending but this lockout is affecting thousands of people during a nationwide economic crisis. The thousands I speak of are not players or coaches or owners. They are the everyday people that work for NFL teams who aren’t millionaires. I don’t think the NFL realizes that people get paid about $300 per week (if they are lucky) for unemployment benefits. And the people that live month to month are 9 days behind on all their bills.

The release of the schedule is good news. The Giants got a very nice bye week in week seven. I always have a good time reading and planning around it. It looks like the G-Men will have a tough schedule on the road this year. The play some really tough teams. I think they will be up to the task come September after they get some work in at training camp and some time in the weight room. Enough from me, here is the 2011 NFL regular season schedule you have been waiting for fans!

2011 Regular Season Schedule: New York Giants

Week 1: Sunday 9/11/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ Redskins

Week 2: Monday 9/19/11 – 8:30 PM EST – Giants vs. Rams (MNF)

Week 3: Sunday 9/25/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants @ Eagles

Week 4: Sunday 10/2/11 – 4:05 PM EST – Giants @ Cardinals

Week 5: Sunday 10/9/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Seahawks

Week 6: Sunday 10/16/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Bills

Week 7: BYE WEEK

Week 8: Sunday 10/30/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Dolphins

Week 9: Sunday 11/6/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ Patriots

Week 10: Sunday 11/13/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ 49ers

Week 11: Sunday 11/20/11 – 8:20 PM EST – Giants vs. Eagles (SNF)

Week 12: Monday 11/28/11 – 8:30 PM EST – Giants @ Saints (MNF)

Week 13: Sunday 12/4/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants vs. Packers

Week 14: Sunday 12/11/11 – 8:20 PM EST – Giants @ Cowboys (SNF)

Week 15: Sunday 12/18/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Redskins

Week 16: Saturday 12/24/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants @ Jets

Week 17: Sunday 1/1/12 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Cowboys

Will you be attending a Giants game this year? Are you a season ticket holder?

RD – nygreporter.com

2011 NFL Draft: Best Available vs. Immediate Need

April 15, 2011

New York – There is one question every football fan hears at least once every April. That question is, should their team draft for best available or immediate need? I hear this more then enough from tons of people. I have a philosophy to answer this very question. It is based on logic and an understanding of the New York Giants roster and because I am a fantasy football beast. Who should the Giants invest in the most? The offense or the defense? Well, they were both very good in 2010, regardless of missing the playoffs. My guess is that 3 out of 5 rounds will be drafted for defense within the first 5 rounds in 2011.

Which of the two is a better drafting style? I say drafting takes a little bit of both but only because it means drafting for need first in the early rounds. You do this by simply drafting the best available immediate need player. Save the drafting by “best available” for mid to late rounds. Again, this is only my philosophy on drafting in 2011, I’m not claiming to be Nostradamus or anything. I just think it makes a lot of sense to draft this way.

Round 1: I honestly think a team should draft for need in round 1 without question, there is no debating this topic with me. Take the best LB available if you need a LB. The reason I feel this way (particularly with being a Giants fan) is because let’s say a really good defensive end is on the boards at the 19th pick of round 1, he is the Giants highest rated player on their war room board. I would be shocked if the Giants took another DE to add to an extremely deep group of talented guys running the show in that department. Especially in this years draft, if there is a solid 10-year Center or aggressive DT available, take one of those guys please. Don’t just take the highest rated player. If this is what Jerry Reese does then I apologize and mean no disrespect but I think he knows what I mean. I also think he is smarter than that. The players surely do and so do the fans.

Round 2, 3 and 4: These rounds are a bit more tricky. Personally, I am sticking with drafting for need in rounds 1 and 2 (using the best available player at need of course). Rounds 3 and 4 could be a mix of both. I also think there could be some positions that should not be considered at all. Such as the defensive end position in 2011. There is just too much talent on the team to waste a high draft pick on a DE. With Osi, Tuck, Kiwanuka and JPP alone, the Giants pass rush is insane. There has to be one position on offense and defensive that should not waste anyones time. Still send the scouts out and gather all the intel but get some other positions in the mix come draft day.

Rounds 5, 6 and 7: These rounds should all follow the draft by “best available” philosophy to the letter. Considering the reality that 2 out of the 3, drafted in these three rounds, might not make the team. Always take a WR or CB in the 7th round and be sure he is an excellent special teamer. Stack that area for the next three years/drafts, this includes returners and punters now that it has become a problem area.

If someone came up to you and said “Hey, you can only draft 2 defensive positions within the first 5 rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. What would those positions be?” For myself, I would have to say defensive tackle and linebacker. Canty and Bernard have a lot to prove in 2011. Cofield hopefully stays and gets paid. The LB group has a lot to prove in 2011 too. We need to see some guys step up including LB Clint Sintim who has the fans on his side. LB Phillip Dillard who looked promising last training camp before going down with an injury. LB Adrian Tracy is another young man who suffered an injury but needs to show up in 2011. What about bringing back DT Jay Alford to help out if he is available?

For defense, I’m most confident in our defensive ends followed by our safety group. The cornerbacks come in third on that list to round out my top three. On offense, I am most confident in the QB followed by the wide receivers. The running backs come in third on my top three list. I’m most concerned with the offensive line followed by the tight end group on offense. Hopefully, FB Madison Hedgecock returns to full strength or I could see FB becoming a problem too.

What do you prefer when it comes to drafting, best available or immediate need?

RD – nygreporter.com

2011 NFL Draft: Only Two Weeks Away Giants Fans

April 14, 2011

NEW YORK – We are now only 14 days away from the 2011 NFL Draft. This is a very exciting time of the year for the die-hard and true blue fans. You can immediately tell who knows what they are talking about come draft day. The bull crap gets cut quick when you try talking junk to a knowledgeable fan. Radio City Music Hall in New York during the spring, does it get any better then this? I hope some of the rookies catch a Yankee game or a Knicks game while they are in town. I’m sure they get hooked up with some nice tickets and other cool events to check out. I hope they decide against that much rumored boycott of the draft by rookies. Just show up and have some fun.

As of today, my needs assessment remains pretty much the same and I will list my position picks for rounds 1-7 below again. You can flip flop players in the late rounds and any position you draft makes sense and can be justified. It’s the first three rounds that get you respect. If you can predict those first three rounds correctly, then you can consider yourself on the same level as any other Giants writer or expert out there. Do it more then once and establish some consistency, publicly. You will be getting paid for your opinion sooner or later if you’re consistently “in the race” with your opinions and correct most of the time.

We will be doing a ton of coverage over the draft weekend (4/28/11 – 4/30/11). Be sure to come back and check out player analysis that whole weekend as well as other LIVE reports throughout all rounds of the draft!

New York Giants: 2011 Draft picks by position.

Round 1 pick – Center or Defensive Tackle (Center is clearly the bigger need here but the draft is stacked with talented DT’s)

Round 2 pick – Defensive Tackle or Linebacker (they have some nice talent at LB on the team already but DT could end up being an issue)

Round 3 pick – Cornerback (there is a lot of talent at the CB position but Fewell needs some new blood to work his magic on, depth as well)

Round 4 pick – Offensive Lineman (this could be a tackle or a guard, the o-line will need help soon and depth doesn’t hurt)

Round 5 pick – No 5th Round Pick, traded away for RB Darius Reynaud (5’9″ 201) who is used as a returner.

Round 6 pick A – Tight End (the team has a mission to get QB Eli Manning as many weapons as possible)

Round 6 pick B – Running Back (they need to add a young RB into the mix and GM Jerry Reese is good at finding talent late)

Round 6 pick C – Linebacker (keep stacking talent until you find the golden 3 that fit the best)

Round 7 pick – Cornerback or Wide Receiver (this guy should be used on special teams, get the most talented special teamer available here)

Feel free to leave a comment below with your own picks and predictions.

RD – nygreporter.com

Please support the Eric LeGrand charity walk this June 4, 2011! Check it out at http://www.awalktobelieve.org

New York Giants Get 2 Compensatory Picks in 2011 Draft

March 26, 2011

NEW YORK – After a news drought on NFL news the past couple of weeks, fans finally learned about the compensatory picks yesterday. Because the Giants lost QB David Carr and DT Fred Robbins in 2010, the NFL has awarded the team two 6th round picks (No.198 and No.202 overall). Not very exciting considering the level of talent that will be available in round six but none the less some good news. Having three 6th round picks tells me that the likelihood of a trade or moving up to get a coveted player is better then average now. Personally, I would have rather gotten one third or fourth round pick instead of two sixth round picks but the world doesn’t revolve around me.

Losing David Carr and Fred Robbins were both big blows to the team. The Giants have not been able to replace Carr yet with a backup QB of equal caliber and Robbins was a fan favorite who could have easily contributed to the team in 2010. The Giants are much deeper at the defensive tackle position then they are at the backup quarterback spot. They will need to correct that before the season begins. Even though QB Eli Manning has an Iron Man streak going for most consecutive starts (behind only big brother Peyton Manning), the team will still need to be prepared in case the worst possible scenario plays out.

Giants GM Jerry Reese will take what he can get. I’m sure he will turn these extra picks into something special on draft day by using his jedi mind tricks. Hopefully, this silly NFL lockout will be over in time for fans to see these rookies play in a game. The lockout has entered its 15th day and there seems to be no end in sight. How will this effect the draft, minicamp and training camp? Nobody knows. One thing I know for sure is the fact that the fans are really fed up with this lockout business. Let’s hope they settle their differences and get back to work soon.

– Everyone here at nygreporter.com would like to say Congratulations to Eli & Abby Manning on the birth of their first child this week. The Manning’s had a baby girl they named Ava. Something tells me that Easy Eli will be playing with a new purpose this season and I fully expect him to have a career year. CONGRATS!

RD – nygreporter.com

New York Giants 2011 NFL Lockout Survival Kit

March 23, 2011

NEW YORK – There have been many New York Giants fans that contacted me about being upset with this lockout. Some find themselves wandering aimlessly around the house or driving around their neighborhoods with no place to go. Some have taken up alternative hobbies such as painting or cooking. It’s really sad. We are going to take a look at some of the things that Giants fans can do during this lockout to keep from going insane.

There should be something for everyone and if you feel something should be added to this list, we encourage you to leave a comment below with that information.

I understand that times are tough and some fans might not be able to afford some of the items listed below. That is why I included a couple of things that you can do that are free or cost very little. Since computers weren’t as prevalent during the last lockout as they are now, it has become much easier to survive the lockout in the digital age. The NFL is also changing game rules as we speak and some of the fans are not liking what they are hearing. Changes to the kick off rules have been the most public. Why? Why are they messing with the billion dollar system? I’m not going to go into all of this because it just upsets me but I thought I would share a little here. We will cover everything once all of this madness is over with. I hope we can provide you with a little rain water during this football drought.

I fully expect the NFL to run with my original idea here and make even more millions. Just remember where you heard about the “Lockout Survival Kit” first football fans. Now, let’s take a look at the list.

2011 NFL Lockout Survival Kit: New York Giants Edition

1. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XLII (2007) DVD  New York Giants Super Bowl XLII Champions DVD

2. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XXI (1986) DVD America’s Games: 1986 New York Giants

3. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XXV (1990) DVD Warner Brothers New York Giants Super Bowl XXV America’s Game DVD

4. Collect New York Giants trading cards from your local sports memorabilia store.  New York Giants 50-Pack Collectible Cards

5. Play Madden video games using the New York Giants as your team. Madden NFL 12

6. Study the history of New York Giants football. New York Giants History

7. Get some New York Giants player autographs. Player Appearances

8. Buy and watch America’s Game: New York Giants DVD. Warner Brothers America’s Game: New York Giants DVD

9. Buy and watch the History of the New York Giants DVD. Warner Brothers History of New York Giants DVD Collection

10. Buy and watch the New York Giants 10 Greatest Games DVD. Warner Brothers New York Giants 10 Greatest Games DVD

11. Buy yourself a new jersey (authentic or replica). New York Giants Jerseys

12. Take a tour of New Meadowlands stadium with the kids. Stadium Tours | New Meadowlands Stadium

13. Check out the New York Giants Ring of Honor once again (video included). Giants Ring of Honor

14. Try to win the chance to buy two Super Bowl tickets. Events

15. Tweet Pat Hanlon with any questions you may have about the New York Giants. @giantspathanlon

Whatever you decide to do fans, I would suggest one thing, don’t panic! Things cannot continue this way for very long and sooner or later everything will work out. So keep your heads up and stay strong through this horrible situation and try to remember better days in the NFL. Good luck!

RD – nygreporter.com

NFL News Flatline Has Locked Out Fans Fed Up

March 22, 2011

NEW YORK – The NFL lockout has entered its 11th day and the fans are beginning to feel lonely. The lack of NFL news or even more specifically, team news, has fans openly questioning what the heck is going on? The truth is that there isn’t anything to report. The NFL owners and players still have not come to any agreement and it looks like this lockout may take longer then most expected. At a time when the entire world has gone crazy and wars are being fought all over the globe, it amazes me that this lockout is just another issue people have to deal with. To some, the NFL is an escape from the realities of life going on around them for a few hours. Now that escape has been taken away too.

The reality is that nobody cares about the reasons for this lockout or the excuses. There are a lot of people unemployed in this country and compared to the regular guy, every employee in the NFL is paid well. Now, I’m not suggesting that the salaries of players shouldn’t be fair but once you cross the million dollar a year threshold, is there really anything else to talk about? I don’t want to suggest that I am on the side of ownership because those guys are billionaires. If the players are the big shots to the regular guy, then the owners are the really big shots to the players. The simple fact that the NFL is actually considering taking America’s game and moving it overseas for certain games tells me that we may be near “peak NFL” in the USA. They can say that they are just looking to make new fans overseas but we all know that it is about money. I do not include John Mara in my rant about ownership because he is the one person who is constantly in the media trying to get this thing done.

The world is on fire and countries are collapsing all around us. The fans need the NFL now more then ever. Let’s not forget the soldiers stationed all over the world who really need the distraction of some good ole’ football news back home. How do you think the grunt feels after walking a 12-hour patrol with sixty pounds on his back, who finally gets some down time in his tent to check the internet and finds the NFL arguing over millions of dollars while he gets $24,000 a year to risk his life?

There are plenty of examples I can give about the regular guy and the struggles they have to go through everyday (myself included) but it will do no good. This lockout is going to last as long as it takes for the owners to get what they want. The question is how much is enough? Do you replace morals with smart business when you already have a billion in the bank? What if the fans locked YOU out and boycotted the 2011 NFL season? That’s something that could never happen right? You never know. Wrap up this lockout and get back to work quickly before the fans fall out of love with you.

RD – nygreporter.com

Happy St. Patricks Day New York Giants Fans

March 17, 2011

NEW YORK (nygreporter.com) – I would like to wish everyone a Happy St. Patricks Day because as the saying goes, everyone is Irish on St. Patricks day. I won’t use the cliche that the NFL needs the luck of the Irish to have a 2011 NFL season but the truth is that the Giants will need to luck of the Irish to stay healthy in 2011. At full strength, the Giants will go deep into the playoffs and they won’t need luck. Maybe the owners and player reps should try the simple approach of sitting around a table and having a few Guinness beers. They most likely will not however and it looks like a one way ticket to Palookaville for the fans.

Get your four leaf shamrocks out and cross your fingers because the fans know a pot of gold is waiting at the end of the table. Sign the deal and get back to work. We live in fickle times and the fans attention span is much shorter then it used to be. I remember when my computer crashed a couple of years ago and I kept wondering what I was going to do without a computer until I got a replacement. How did people function without computers back in the day? Oh wait, I’m old enough to remember that. But you know what happened? I adapted to not having a computer rather quickly and replaced the time I had spent on the computer with doing with more activities. I also began to read more. Well, I began to read more books to be specific. I read pages of text daily spreading the current news or sports updates. Do you get the point NFL? It would not be good for business if 10%-15% of your fans realize they like life better without the NFL. Don’t be arrogant and think it can’t happen.

Not much news on the football front. The players are banned from all team facilities and the lockout continues on going into day six. I want to remind all of our readers to drink responsibly and don’t be stupid and get into a car drunk.  Anyone who drives a car while drunk is a fool. Do the right thing, not just for yourself but for the innocent people (kids too) crossing a street. Other then that, have a wonderful day and a ton of fun. If you see a leprechaun swinging from a Save-More convenience store neon sign, calling your name and cursing at you, then it’s time to go home. Just put down the drink and call a cab. Good Luck!

Have one for us!

RD – nygreporter.com

New York Giants Field of Dreams at the Meadowlands

March 16, 2011

NEW YORK (nygreporter.com) – The New York Giants christened their brand new stadium this past season in 2010. It was a 10-6 year and they missed the playoffs in a year when an NFL team made it into the playoffs with a 7-9 record, no I’m not kidding. Makes you wonder. The new Giants stadium (which all Giants fans will call it forever) is a massive structure and outfitted with all of the newest technology. This stadium should stand strong for many decades and it looks like all of our dreams were dashed at the news that the Jets wanted to split the costs and continue to stay in the guest bedroom for the next few decades. That is the New York Giants house and always will be.

The story gets better. New Meadowlands stadium (official name) won the bid to host the 2014 Super Bowl. This will be the experiment of a lifetime to see how a cold weather Super Bowl performs against their warmer climate counterparts. It sounds like it is a long way off but the truth is that it’s 3 short years away from being a reality. I predict that the physical ticket sales to the game will be the highest price tickets (this includes the street value) in Super Bowl history and it will hold that record for quite some time. New York and New Jersey are going to go absolutely nuts once this event rolls around. The parties at the surrounding bars and hotels will be seen from space. Talk about field of dreams, can you imagine the city if the Giants are playing in that Super Bowl? What if they were playing the Jets? The thought of a subway series at the New Meadowlands stadium is a big idea and a big deal. It would be off the charts.

I know the topic of the new stadium has been discussed many times before but I have been hearing extra chatter from the Jets fans lately and wanted to be sure to mention how the Giants let them stay there for over 30 years. Giants fans are not talkative or obnoxious. They revel in the fact that the Mara and Tisch families have kept things classy and remain committed to the sport in general. We will include a message below to the fans from the owners that was posted on Giants.com over the weekend, after the 2011 NFL lockout began. Will the Giants get to play on that brand new field once again in 2011 or will the lockout ruin this season? I remain optimistic that they will work something out soon. What do you think?

RD – nygreporter.com

Message to Giants fans from John Mara and Steve Tisch

We are as disappointed as you are in the developments of the past week and the current state of negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. For there to be no CBA in place today is extremely disappointing, given the amount of time and hard work and the numerous conversations devoted to achieving an agreement, not just in the last two weeks but over the last two years. We are not happy about that and we certainly understand and appreciate your unhappiness and frustration. Where we are today serves no positive purpose for you, for our players and for the National Football League. Although we had hoped and expected to have an agreement by now and are disappointed that we do not, we remain as committed as ever to returning this process where it belongs, which is the negotiating table. We are convinced that what we have stated many times remains true, that there will be a new agreement and there will be a 2011 NFL season. It is just a matter of when we are able to reach an accord on the current issues. The impatience and the displeasure we know you are feeling is completely understandable. We can only assure you that the point of the entire process is to make our game as strong as it can possibly be and to enable it to continue to grow for the good of everybody – the league, the players and the fans. The last thing we wanted is for the business end of our sport to play out this way. We know people frankly don’t care how owners and players manage their business. These negotiations distract and detract from what is most important to all of us: the game.

We are doing all we can to return the focus as quickly as possible to where it belongs, the field of play.

Read more: http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=44796#ixzz1GmD5aDD6
Giants Club Seats: For the best seats in the NEW GIANTS STADIUM, CLICK HERE

New York Giants Owner John Mara, Zero Panic During Lockout

March 13, 2011

NEW YORK – The Mara family has been around football since the beginning and the name holds a lot of weight around these parts. The NFL and media deem it newsworthy to mention that John Mara was one of the first to reach out during the CBA talks and prior to it. He tried to work out a deal and it’s all over the news? That means something. The NFL is in lockdown mode and who knows when the final deal will be worked out. Fans are scratching their heads wondering why these talks aren’t on CSPAN as well as the NFL Network 24 hours a day. If both sides want to be recognized and heard (the same as the MLB steroid hearings), then both sides should be heard by all. The fans know what is fair, let them be the judge since they are paying for everything anyway. Get your primary investors more involved.

I have an idea on how to save money on the salary commitments by owners. Simply adding the jersey rights program to the players, as a salary option. Generate additional revenue by using what is in front of you. Jersey sales. There must be reasons why players haven’t started charging to use their name and number more (as long as they rep their current NFL team). For example, Rebook is simply the hired hand that provides the New York Giants with their authentic NFL team jerseys. The New York Giants sell the jerseys separately as the official final product. In some cases a player will have something worked into their contracts about jersey sales. But where is the majority of that money going? I say it is time to give the players a bigger cut of that money since it is licensed through the team. This will eliminate some of the pressure the owners feel to pay their players and some of the players could make more then their initial investment. This is a win for both sides involved.

Mr. Mara has a ton of smart people around him I’m sure. I don’t know what the Giants jersey sales numbers look like, so they will have to look into it themselves. But if there are no rules against substituting $1,000,000 on 53 player contracts for apparel sales, why not give it a try so you can free up cap space. Using these numbers, the Giants had to sell a minimum of $53,000,000 worth of player jerseys (roughly 212,000 authentic or replica jerseys) in 2010 and would have to do so every year. It seems like a big number but might be worth while in certain isolated situations. If even half of these number were to work out, that would still be $26,500,000 saved in salary commitments or $1,250,000 per every 5,000 physical jerseys sold. There would be virtually no paper work if the NFL and teams hooked up with a merchant/affiliate program such as Football Fanatics. That program handles all the paper work and even mails out the money to the individual players or they can use direct deposit if preferred.

PJR – Player Jersey Rights could be worked into the contracts at a $1 million dollar annual fee, which would be deducted from the players base salary. When the player retires, he will retain 25% of the Jersey Rights permanently, as part of each players retirement package. Players must be enrolled into the annual Jersey Rights program to qualify for jersey rights at 25% for life.

Whatever the outcome or length of the lockout, I know that John Mara will not panic or make an irrational decision. I’m confident he is working hard to get things back on track. Some of the leaked issues seem to be workable, it’s the issues the public does not know about that have me concerned. What can we do? Have a lockout party of course and wait it out. Remember what I said about things happening before the 2011 NFL draft, if the lockout goes beyond that, we might be in trouble.

RD – nygreporter.com