Can Fantasy Football Survive a Cancelled 2011 Season?

May 12, 2011

NEW YORK – I have been a fantasy football player since 1999. I have seen that industry grow into a $15 billion dollar a year beast. There are only a handful of websites that can claim to be big time in that industry. Among them are CBSSports.com, ESPN.com and NFL.com to name the big three in my opinion. If the 2011 NFL season is cancelled, I am sure that those three sports sites will be fine. But what about the smaller websites that offer fantasy games or the emerging fantasy sites people don’t know about yet? I’m sure this is the furthest thing on the NFL’s mind but it is just another issue that will arise from the 2011 lockout that has now reached 62 days.

Could the 2011 NFL lockout actually benefit the larger sports sites, by creating a monopoly on fantasy football by eliminating competition through attrition? I know there are a lot of people out there who could care less about fantasy football but the fact remains that thousands of people have jobs working on the game. The economy is bad enough right now without adding a few thousand more people to the unemployment line. Sure there will be fantasy basketball and hockey that will emerge in the fall but everyone knows the bread and butter of fantasy sports is football. If the NFL cancels the 2011 season, fantasy staffs all over the country will be cut in half or laid off. The reality of “no football” until September 2012 would set in immediately and effect the economy instantly.

Personally, I do not think they will cancel this season. The amount of money is so great that the players or owners will eventually give in. The players I feel bad for are guys like New York Giants DT Barry Cofield who get stuck in the middle. Here is a guy who has played his heart out since being drafted by New York and he could wind up getting the shaft over politics. Free agents are the walking dead right now with zero options. I am a big Cofield fan and hope the team does the right thing with him. We all understand it is a business but giving Chris Canty almost 3 times the money Cofield makes is a joke. I have nothing against Mr. Canty but even he knows Cofield had a better season then he did last year. There is no denying that fact. Barry Cofield is a Giant through and through and deserves some respect for his contributions to the team. Cofield expressed his frustration in an article this week that I found to be honest and truthful. What do you think about his situation?

Top New York Giants for 2011 Fantasy Football

1. WR Hakeem Nicks

2. QB Eli Manning

3. WR Steve Smith

4. NYG Defense

5. RB Ahmad Bradshaw

6. RB Brandon Jacobs

7. WR Mario Manningham

8. TE Kevin Boss

Would you add or subtract anyone from the list above? Do you think there will be a 2011 NFL season?

RD – nygreporter.com

Please support the Eric LeGrand charity walk this June 4, 2011! Check it out at http://www.awalktobelieve.org

2011 NFL Schedule: New York Giants Edition

April 19, 2011

NEW YORK – The NFL announced the 2011 regular season schedule today on the 39th day of the lockout. Talk about a contradiction. They should be required to add the proverbial “asterisk” next to the schedule like they do in baseball for steroids. Just to let the fans know that there still might be an interruption to the 2011 season. Hey, thanks!

I do not mean to sound condescending but this lockout is affecting thousands of people during a nationwide economic crisis. The thousands I speak of are not players or coaches or owners. They are the everyday people that work for NFL teams who aren’t millionaires. I don’t think the NFL realizes that people get paid about $300 per week (if they are lucky) for unemployment benefits. And the people that live month to month are 9 days behind on all their bills.

The release of the schedule is good news. The Giants got a very nice bye week in week seven. I always have a good time reading and planning around it. It looks like the G-Men will have a tough schedule on the road this year. The play some really tough teams. I think they will be up to the task come September after they get some work in at training camp and some time in the weight room. Enough from me, here is the 2011 NFL regular season schedule you have been waiting for fans!

2011 Regular Season Schedule: New York Giants

Week 1: Sunday 9/11/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ Redskins

Week 2: Monday 9/19/11 – 8:30 PM EST – Giants vs. Rams (MNF)

Week 3: Sunday 9/25/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants @ Eagles

Week 4: Sunday 10/2/11 – 4:05 PM EST – Giants @ Cardinals

Week 5: Sunday 10/9/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Seahawks

Week 6: Sunday 10/16/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Bills

Week 7: BYE WEEK

Week 8: Sunday 10/30/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Dolphins

Week 9: Sunday 11/6/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ Patriots

Week 10: Sunday 11/13/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants @ 49ers

Week 11: Sunday 11/20/11 – 8:20 PM EST – Giants vs. Eagles (SNF)

Week 12: Monday 11/28/11 – 8:30 PM EST – Giants @ Saints (MNF)

Week 13: Sunday 12/4/11 – 4:15 PM EST – Giants vs. Packers

Week 14: Sunday 12/11/11 – 8:20 PM EST – Giants @ Cowboys (SNF)

Week 15: Sunday 12/18/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Redskins

Week 16: Saturday 12/24/11 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants @ Jets

Week 17: Sunday 1/1/12 – 1:00 PM EST – Giants vs. Cowboys

Will you be attending a Giants game this year? Are you a season ticket holder?

RD – nygreporter.com

2011 NFL Draft: Best Available vs. Immediate Need

April 15, 2011

New York – There is one question every football fan hears at least once every April. That question is, should their team draft for best available or immediate need? I hear this more then enough from tons of people. I have a philosophy to answer this very question. It is based on logic and an understanding of the New York Giants roster and because I am a fantasy football beast. Who should the Giants invest in the most? The offense or the defense? Well, they were both very good in 2010, regardless of missing the playoffs. My guess is that 3 out of 5 rounds will be drafted for defense within the first 5 rounds in 2011.

Which of the two is a better drafting style? I say drafting takes a little bit of both but only because it means drafting for need first in the early rounds. You do this by simply drafting the best available immediate need player. Save the drafting by “best available” for mid to late rounds. Again, this is only my philosophy on drafting in 2011, I’m not claiming to be Nostradamus or anything. I just think it makes a lot of sense to draft this way.

Round 1: I honestly think a team should draft for need in round 1 without question, there is no debating this topic with me. Take the best LB available if you need a LB. The reason I feel this way (particularly with being a Giants fan) is because let’s say a really good defensive end is on the boards at the 19th pick of round 1, he is the Giants highest rated player on their war room board. I would be shocked if the Giants took another DE to add to an extremely deep group of talented guys running the show in that department. Especially in this years draft, if there is a solid 10-year Center or aggressive DT available, take one of those guys please. Don’t just take the highest rated player. If this is what Jerry Reese does then I apologize and mean no disrespect but I think he knows what I mean. I also think he is smarter than that. The players surely do and so do the fans.

Round 2, 3 and 4: These rounds are a bit more tricky. Personally, I am sticking with drafting for need in rounds 1 and 2 (using the best available player at need of course). Rounds 3 and 4 could be a mix of both. I also think there could be some positions that should not be considered at all. Such as the defensive end position in 2011. There is just too much talent on the team to waste a high draft pick on a DE. With Osi, Tuck, Kiwanuka and JPP alone, the Giants pass rush is insane. There has to be one position on offense and defensive that should not waste anyones time. Still send the scouts out and gather all the intel but get some other positions in the mix come draft day.

Rounds 5, 6 and 7: These rounds should all follow the draft by “best available” philosophy to the letter. Considering the reality that 2 out of the 3, drafted in these three rounds, might not make the team. Always take a WR or CB in the 7th round and be sure he is an excellent special teamer. Stack that area for the next three years/drafts, this includes returners and punters now that it has become a problem area.

If someone came up to you and said “Hey, you can only draft 2 defensive positions within the first 5 rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft. What would those positions be?” For myself, I would have to say defensive tackle and linebacker. Canty and Bernard have a lot to prove in 2011. Cofield hopefully stays and gets paid. The LB group has a lot to prove in 2011 too. We need to see some guys step up including LB Clint Sintim who has the fans on his side. LB Phillip Dillard who looked promising last training camp before going down with an injury. LB Adrian Tracy is another young man who suffered an injury but needs to show up in 2011. What about bringing back DT Jay Alford to help out if he is available?

For defense, I’m most confident in our defensive ends followed by our safety group. The cornerbacks come in third on that list to round out my top three. On offense, I am most confident in the QB followed by the wide receivers. The running backs come in third on my top three list. I’m most concerned with the offensive line followed by the tight end group on offense. Hopefully, FB Madison Hedgecock returns to full strength or I could see FB becoming a problem too.

What do you prefer when it comes to drafting, best available or immediate need?

RD – nygreporter.com

2011 NFL Draft: Only Two Weeks Away Giants Fans

April 14, 2011

NEW YORK – We are now only 14 days away from the 2011 NFL Draft. This is a very exciting time of the year for the die-hard and true blue fans. You can immediately tell who knows what they are talking about come draft day. The bull crap gets cut quick when you try talking junk to a knowledgeable fan. Radio City Music Hall in New York during the spring, does it get any better then this? I hope some of the rookies catch a Yankee game or a Knicks game while they are in town. I’m sure they get hooked up with some nice tickets and other cool events to check out. I hope they decide against that much rumored boycott of the draft by rookies. Just show up and have some fun.

As of today, my needs assessment remains pretty much the same and I will list my position picks for rounds 1-7 below again. You can flip flop players in the late rounds and any position you draft makes sense and can be justified. It’s the first three rounds that get you respect. If you can predict those first three rounds correctly, then you can consider yourself on the same level as any other Giants writer or expert out there. Do it more then once and establish some consistency, publicly. You will be getting paid for your opinion sooner or later if you’re consistently “in the race” with your opinions and correct most of the time.

We will be doing a ton of coverage over the draft weekend (4/28/11 – 4/30/11). Be sure to come back and check out player analysis that whole weekend as well as other LIVE reports throughout all rounds of the draft!

New York Giants: 2011 Draft picks by position.

Round 1 pick – Center or Defensive Tackle (Center is clearly the bigger need here but the draft is stacked with talented DT’s)

Round 2 pick – Defensive Tackle or Linebacker (they have some nice talent at LB on the team already but DT could end up being an issue)

Round 3 pick – Cornerback (there is a lot of talent at the CB position but Fewell needs some new blood to work his magic on, depth as well)

Round 4 pick – Offensive Lineman (this could be a tackle or a guard, the o-line will need help soon and depth doesn’t hurt)

Round 5 pick – No 5th Round Pick, traded away for RB Darius Reynaud (5’9″ 201) who is used as a returner.

Round 6 pick A – Tight End (the team has a mission to get QB Eli Manning as many weapons as possible)

Round 6 pick B – Running Back (they need to add a young RB into the mix and GM Jerry Reese is good at finding talent late)

Round 6 pick C – Linebacker (keep stacking talent until you find the golden 3 that fit the best)

Round 7 pick – Cornerback or Wide Receiver (this guy should be used on special teams, get the most talented special teamer available here)

Feel free to leave a comment below with your own picks and predictions.

RD – nygreporter.com

Please support the Eric LeGrand charity walk this June 4, 2011! Check it out at http://www.awalktobelieve.org

New York Giants Get 2 Compensatory Picks in 2011 Draft

March 26, 2011

NEW YORK – After a news drought on NFL news the past couple of weeks, fans finally learned about the compensatory picks yesterday. Because the Giants lost QB David Carr and DT Fred Robbins in 2010, the NFL has awarded the team two 6th round picks (No.198 and No.202 overall). Not very exciting considering the level of talent that will be available in round six but none the less some good news. Having three 6th round picks tells me that the likelihood of a trade or moving up to get a coveted player is better then average now. Personally, I would have rather gotten one third or fourth round pick instead of two sixth round picks but the world doesn’t revolve around me.

Losing David Carr and Fred Robbins were both big blows to the team. The Giants have not been able to replace Carr yet with a backup QB of equal caliber and Robbins was a fan favorite who could have easily contributed to the team in 2010. The Giants are much deeper at the defensive tackle position then they are at the backup quarterback spot. They will need to correct that before the season begins. Even though QB Eli Manning has an Iron Man streak going for most consecutive starts (behind only big brother Peyton Manning), the team will still need to be prepared in case the worst possible scenario plays out.

Giants GM Jerry Reese will take what he can get. I’m sure he will turn these extra picks into something special on draft day by using his jedi mind tricks. Hopefully, this silly NFL lockout will be over in time for fans to see these rookies play in a game. The lockout has entered its 15th day and there seems to be no end in sight. How will this effect the draft, minicamp and training camp? Nobody knows. One thing I know for sure is the fact that the fans are really fed up with this lockout business. Let’s hope they settle their differences and get back to work soon.

– Everyone here at nygreporter.com would like to say Congratulations to Eli & Abby Manning on the birth of their first child this week. The Manning’s had a baby girl they named Ava. Something tells me that Easy Eli will be playing with a new purpose this season and I fully expect him to have a career year. CONGRATS!

RD – nygreporter.com

New York Giants 2011 NFL Lockout Survival Kit

March 23, 2011

NEW YORK – There have been many New York Giants fans that contacted me about being upset with this lockout. Some find themselves wandering aimlessly around the house or driving around their neighborhoods with no place to go. Some have taken up alternative hobbies such as painting or cooking. It’s really sad. We are going to take a look at some of the things that Giants fans can do during this lockout to keep from going insane.

There should be something for everyone and if you feel something should be added to this list, we encourage you to leave a comment below with that information.

I understand that times are tough and some fans might not be able to afford some of the items listed below. That is why I included a couple of things that you can do that are free or cost very little. Since computers weren’t as prevalent during the last lockout as they are now, it has become much easier to survive the lockout in the digital age. The NFL is also changing game rules as we speak and some of the fans are not liking what they are hearing. Changes to the kick off rules have been the most public. Why? Why are they messing with the billion dollar system? I’m not going to go into all of this because it just upsets me but I thought I would share a little here. We will cover everything once all of this madness is over with. I hope we can provide you with a little rain water during this football drought.

I fully expect the NFL to run with my original idea here and make even more millions. Just remember where you heard about the “Lockout Survival Kit” first football fans. Now, let’s take a look at the list.

2011 NFL Lockout Survival Kit: New York Giants Edition

1. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XLII (2007) DVD  New York Giants Super Bowl XLII Champions DVD

2. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XXI (1986) DVD America’s Games: 1986 New York Giants

3. Buy and watch the New York Giants Super Bowl XXV (1990) DVD Warner Brothers New York Giants Super Bowl XXV America’s Game DVD

4. Collect New York Giants trading cards from your local sports memorabilia store.  New York Giants 50-Pack Collectible Cards

5. Play Madden video games using the New York Giants as your team. Madden NFL 12

6. Study the history of New York Giants football. New York Giants History

7. Get some New York Giants player autographs. Player Appearances

8. Buy and watch America’s Game: New York Giants DVD. Warner Brothers America’s Game: New York Giants DVD

9. Buy and watch the History of the New York Giants DVD. Warner Brothers History of New York Giants DVD Collection

10. Buy and watch the New York Giants 10 Greatest Games DVD. Warner Brothers New York Giants 10 Greatest Games DVD

11. Buy yourself a new jersey (authentic or replica). New York Giants Jerseys

12. Take a tour of New Meadowlands stadium with the kids. Stadium Tours | New Meadowlands Stadium

13. Check out the New York Giants Ring of Honor once again (video included). Giants Ring of Honor

14. Try to win the chance to buy two Super Bowl tickets. Events

15. Tweet Pat Hanlon with any questions you may have about the New York Giants. @giantspathanlon

Whatever you decide to do fans, I would suggest one thing, don’t panic! Things cannot continue this way for very long and sooner or later everything will work out. So keep your heads up and stay strong through this horrible situation and try to remember better days in the NFL. Good luck!

RD – nygreporter.com

NFL News Flatline Has Locked Out Fans Fed Up

March 22, 2011

NEW YORK – The NFL lockout has entered its 11th day and the fans are beginning to feel lonely. The lack of NFL news or even more specifically, team news, has fans openly questioning what the heck is going on? The truth is that there isn’t anything to report. The NFL owners and players still have not come to any agreement and it looks like this lockout may take longer then most expected. At a time when the entire world has gone crazy and wars are being fought all over the globe, it amazes me that this lockout is just another issue people have to deal with. To some, the NFL is an escape from the realities of life going on around them for a few hours. Now that escape has been taken away too.

The reality is that nobody cares about the reasons for this lockout or the excuses. There are a lot of people unemployed in this country and compared to the regular guy, every employee in the NFL is paid well. Now, I’m not suggesting that the salaries of players shouldn’t be fair but once you cross the million dollar a year threshold, is there really anything else to talk about? I don’t want to suggest that I am on the side of ownership because those guys are billionaires. If the players are the big shots to the regular guy, then the owners are the really big shots to the players. The simple fact that the NFL is actually considering taking America’s game and moving it overseas for certain games tells me that we may be near “peak NFL” in the USA. They can say that they are just looking to make new fans overseas but we all know that it is about money. I do not include John Mara in my rant about ownership because he is the one person who is constantly in the media trying to get this thing done.

The world is on fire and countries are collapsing all around us. The fans need the NFL now more then ever. Let’s not forget the soldiers stationed all over the world who really need the distraction of some good ole’ football news back home. How do you think the grunt feels after walking a 12-hour patrol with sixty pounds on his back, who finally gets some down time in his tent to check the internet and finds the NFL arguing over millions of dollars while he gets $24,000 a year to risk his life?

There are plenty of examples I can give about the regular guy and the struggles they have to go through everyday (myself included) but it will do no good. This lockout is going to last as long as it takes for the owners to get what they want. The question is how much is enough? Do you replace morals with smart business when you already have a billion in the bank? What if the fans locked YOU out and boycotted the 2011 NFL season? That’s something that could never happen right? You never know. Wrap up this lockout and get back to work quickly before the fans fall out of love with you.

RD – nygreporter.com